Senale lies at an altitude of 1342 m above sea level. This is an enchanting village and the oldest village in Alta Val di Non, located only 2 km from the Palade Mountain Pass. The main attraction of the village is the pilgrimage church, a place of pilgrimage well-known all over Tyrol.
Written evidence exists showing that the convent was a hospice for pilgrims travelling over Palade Pass as early as 1194. The bell tower of the pilgrimage church has a four-sided roof in Romanesque style. The building was restored in Gothic style in the 15th century. Of special interest are the beautifully decorated altars, the high altar and the rococo shrine with its depiction of the Virgin Mary with the Baby Jesus.
In 1224 the convent belonged to the Augustinian Order. Now it is in the possession of the Benedictine Abbey Muri-Gries in Bolzano.