The community of Scena, at an altitude of 600 m a.s.l., is surrounded by vineyards and orchards and extends over an area of 48 km², from the southern border with Merano up to Monte Cervina and Monte Ivigna. The village consists of the hamlets of Verdines, San Giorgio, Montescena, Videgg, Talle di Sotto and Talle di Sopra.
There has been settlement at Scena since Roman times, as testified by the coins found here. The first documentary mention of the name "Scena" dates from the 12th century.
In the same period the lords of Scena were appointed to the office of ministry officials of the Counts of Tyrol. The ruling lords permitted Petermann von Schenna, one of the most influential noblemen in the area, to construct a castle on the hill of the same name.
Scena Castle was later acquired by the noble Starkenberger and Lichtensteiner families, who renovated it and gave it its present appearance. In 1844 Archbishop Johann von Habsburg acquired the castle and it is still in the ownership of his descendants. Scena's history is closely linked with the history of the castle and its inhabitants.
There are many cultural attractions to be discovered in Scena, including the New and Old Parish Churches, the Church of S. Martino, the Church of St. George, the mausoleum and the burial site of the Archbishop of Austria and his family.